Saturday, October 18, 2014

Meeting with U.S. Senator Risch and U.S. Senator Crapo

Post by Carson

 There is a new bill on the floor that needs our attention. It is called the Medicare CGM Access Act. S.2689  Continuous Glucose Monitors are an important and very useful technology for people with T1D and makes up a component artificial pancreas technology.  Despite the fact that over 95% of private health plans cover CGMs, Medicare DOES NOT YET offer coverage. This bill would give seniors with T1D on Medicare access to this potentially life saving technology and help advance the artificial pancreas...which is very important to me.


 My CGM has helped me a lot and not only reads my interstitual fluid every 5 minutes, but also shows me trends that helps me catch a low bg or correct a rising bg before it gets too high.  I led the meeting and showed Sen. Risch how my CGM works.
 I made phone calls and asked my friends with T1D, who are a part of the JDRF Kids Advocacy Club that I started, to come to the meeting to show their support and ask for the Senator to consider signing on to this very important bill.
 The next night, Oct 10, U.S. Senator Mike Crapo was holding a town hall meeting just a few miles from my house, so I went hoping to get a minute to talk to him about the Medicare CGM bill, as well.  His staffer invited me to come talk to the Senator after the meeting.  I thanked him for signing on to the Special Diabetes Program bill (SDP) and then told him about S. 2689. He did not act like he was familiar with the bill, but asked his staffers to write it down so he could go take a look at it and see what it was about...he was very interested and thanked me for calling it to his attention.

 We talked about old times in D.C. and it was nice to see him again!
I feel like I am making a difference when I meet with the Senators and I am thankful for the Club members who come and help support our efforts!!  I hope this bill will pass!  Like I always say, "One voice can make a difference!"

No comments:

Post a Comment